Congratulations on making your move! A career in real estate comes with challenges, but just know that it will all be worth it! You have joined a field that was recently ranked second as the happiest industry. Real Estate Agents also report a high level of job satisfaction in surveys, it makes sense. As a Real Estate Agent, you deal in optimism - You help people make fresh starts. Whether they are moving in or out, they are starting a new phase in their lives, and that can be pretty gratifying.
Making Your Own Success
Success in real estate comes from understanding it is an entrepreneurial business. That means your success is up to you. Here are some things to keep in mind that can help you start strong and achieve the type of success you seek.
- Be choosy about your affiliations. When you look at companies to join, look for those that have the resources, reputation, and room to help you grow into your professional role and build your list of clients.
- Be realistic. While there is no limit to what you can earn as a Real Estate Agent, know that slow and steady wins the race. Ideally, you will want ot have some money set aside, or a second income, as you start building your client list, bolstering your reputation, and perfecting your presentations.
- Be a student. Never stop learning about the industry, the markets, what motivates buyers and sellers, and the neighborhoods you serve.
- Be flexible. Being open to and embracing change will serve you well. From staying on top of the latest information-sharing techniques to how to make your listings as dynamic as possible to online viewers, never assume you know it all.
- Be professional from the start. The more professional your brochures and presentation materials are the easier it will be for potential clients to see you as the real estate expert you want to become. That also means dressing the part, having a website that positions you properly, and creating presentation materials that reflect current best practices.
- Be trustworthy. When you are doing your job, your clients will lead you to more clients. Those referrals come from trust. Clients need to know that you are putting their interests first and that you care about helping them get to where they want to go. Mainly, be sure to deliver on your promises.
Being a Real Estate Agent can be one of the best jobs out there. The profession offers good financial prospects and a unique kind of personal freedom. Commit to being your best, and success will follow.